Deadlift vs. Squat | What are the Differences?
There are two lower body movements that reign supreme in the strength world: squat and deadlift. While both exercises contribute substantially to strength and muscle growth, they involve different motions targeting similar, but also different muscle groups. Let’s chat about squat vs. deadlift.
1. The Hinge: Demystifying the Deadlift
- Execution: The deadlift is a hinge motion. The movement is primarily at the hip joint.
- Form: Picture a slight knee bend, but the main motion is coming from your hips
- Muscle Engagement: Glutes and hamstrings
- Visual:* Observe the lifter executing a back hinge, highlighting significant hip flexion with a subtle knee bend.
Why Opt for Deadlifts? This powerhouse exercise excels in strengthening the posterior chain, with increasing strength in the glutes and hamstrings.
2. The Squat: Navigating Knee Dominance
- Execution: Squats involve more knee flexion, as you’ll notice a more prominent bend in the knees.
- Form: This movement engages both the hips and knees, with a deeper flexion in the knees.
- Muscle Engagement: Quadriceps and glutes
- Visual:* Witness the lifter descending into a squat, showcasing substantial knee flexion.
Why Embrace Squats? Mainly targeting the quads, squats prove effective in overall lower body strength development.
In Conclusion: Tailoring Your Move
Grasping the differences between a hinge (deadlift) and a squat allows you to train smart. As you step into the gym, consider integrating both squats and deadlifts into your routine. As always, Train Smart & Train Hard!
Watch the video on Youtube Channel ⤵️
Ready to take your fitness and nutrition to the next level? EmpowHER Fitness is built by women, for women.
It is our 1on1 coaching program hard-working woman who is ready to build muscle, see results, and take herself to the next level in her nutrition and fitness. This will take the guesswork out of results by every member having a 1on1 coach, as well as an individual plan in nutrition and training in order to fast track them to their goals. We will have weekly team coaching calls that will debunk nutrition myths, educate on how to train smart, and empower them to build true-self confidence. Our goal is to bypass the BS in the nutrition/fitness industry and give them tools to succeed.
If you are interested in taking your fitness to the next level, apply to be a part of our EmpowHER Fitness Coaching Team Below